Squash Pickle Recipe - 24 hour recipe

Oh Happy Day

Yup, these sweet n tangy beauties are made with southern family pride and a throwback to the 'old days' of canning. Do any of you do that? I do when I have the time. Just the other day I put up (that's canning talk) ten pints of pickled green beans (similar to these) and while I was in the mood I thought I would throw together this refrigerator style pickle recipe using squash.

Now squash pickles may be new to some of you, but not to our family. Grandmother put up jars for many years. Her recipe is in our family cookbook. The recipe today is a bit different than hers as I thought of trying a 24 hour version and folks, it turned out pretty darn good if I may say so myself. I guess I just did.

Make up a batch and enjoy something you've been missing...

Squash Pickles
~ the 24 hour method
makes about 3 pints

4 cups sliced yellow summer squash (about 8 young ones)
Sea salt
1 large Vidalia onion, cut into vertical slices
1 1/3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 packed cup southern cane sugar (light brown will do)
4 crushed garlic toes
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric

Slice the squash in a good quarter-inch thickness, meaning a little thicker than 1/4-inch. Double line a baking pan with paper towels and place squash single layer (I did two layers). Sprinkle with the salt and place in refrigerator for 1 hour.

Place squash in a colander and rinse under running water to remove the leaching moisture and salt. Allow to drain by placing on a clean towel. 

In a medium saucepan, add vinegar, the sugars, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.

Combine squash and onions; divide and pack into pint size jars. Pour the hot liquid into the jars dividing evenly. Add additional vinegar or distilled water if needed to cover squash.

Allow to come to room temperture and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.

Like most refrigerator pickles, these should keep for about 2 weeks, but I know they will not last till the end of the week.

Note: If you like your brine on the 'mellow' side, use  1/3 cup of cider vinegar with 1 cup of white vinegar.

Comments

  1. I never thought about squash for pickling before. Bet that's good. I like the onions and cukes quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drick these sound amazing! Perfect snack for this hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickled squash, divine. Thank you for sharing I know I will be trying this soon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I haven't made squash pickles in years! Thanks for the reminder that I need to put up a few jars this year. And, oh yeah, I still can and freeze every year. Just had some peas out of the freezer last night that were put up last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got squash planted in my veggie garden, may be using your recipe if I am lucky with a generous harvest;-) Have a great Friday and wonderful weekend;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turmeric? I love it. My grandmother grew up on a working farm on Lopez Island in Washington State. They canned an pickled everything. They even canned whole chickens. When she told me that I was amazed. All this to say that she would have totally appreciated this recipe for pickled squash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any summer squash or cucumber will work fine, pretty much a fast way to make Bread & Butter type picks. We always called them refrigerator pickles, there a versions for dills as well. We tend to use gallon of half gallon jars. I know they can last at least a month (Found one hidden in the 2nd fridge.) but they normally don't stand a chance lasting that long. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts