Potato Salad with Deviled Egg Dressing

Sweet recipe for Goodness.

Okay, here I go again with another side dish with a referral to making a dressing before incorporating in the major ingredient. So what's wrong with that? Not a thing, it's the way we do things around these parts.

And what's that other recipe?  Well, you can find it right here.

Today is all about a sinful potato salad that when you sit down at the dinner table, you better have your shoes on 'cause folks, this one is so good, it will knock your socks off. Creamy, it's like biting into a deviled egg stuffed potato. Whoa, now that's an idea for a whole 'nother recipe.

Go ahead, print this one out and get to boiling your potatoes and eggs. I know you want it and when it's all said and done, after you licked the whole bowl clean and you're sitting there all snugly and righteous, repeat after me . . . the devil made me do it.

Enjoy!

(pure sinful) Potato Salad

with a Deviled Egg-Like Dressing

1 -4 lb bag of potatoes, Yukon gold or new reds (see note), washed with jackets
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
4 to 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
1 to 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 ribs celery, finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced sweet red bell pepper
2 green scallions, green part only thinly sliced
1/3 cup sweet salad cube pickles (different than pickle relish)
3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Paprika, if desired

'Dressing'
Place yellow potatoes in large pot, cover with cold water adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a rolling boil, (for new reds, see below).  Reduce heat to medium and simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until fork tender. Drain in a colander and cool 15 minutes. When cool to touch, peel and randomly dice quarter-inch to half-inch cubes. Set aside.

In a large bowl, using a fork, mash the egg yolks with the mustard and mash in a little of the mayonnaise to a creamy consistency. Stir in remaining mayonnaise, celery, peppers, green onions, pickles and remaining salt and pepper. Grate the egg whites or finely dice and add to the dressing folding to blend.

Add the potatoes to the bowl and gently mix in the mixture. Add additional mayonnaise if needed and adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.

Sprinkle with paprika if desired.

Note: If using new red potatoes, bring water to boil first, add salt and then potatoes before cooking. The potatoes will cook evenly, otherwise, the outer parts will become overcooked and waterlogged. Do not allow potatoes to stand in water after testing done.

Comments

  1. I just the tailgating foods this sounds and looks great! FUN dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A deviled egg stuffed potato? I'm all over that one, Drick! Thanks for sharing the recipe...especially with the nice warm weather back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need the main meal. But a big bowl of this is front of me and watch me feast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sinful, indeed! Another for the Drick folder to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made the pasta salad Sunday and it was great. Looking forward to this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Easter I made deviled eggs with smoky garlic mustard and bacon. I can imagine those flavors in this salad would be pretty wonderful. I love the richness of the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fine sounding potato salad - the mustard is a must for me and I like the way you used the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sinful... I love it!! and I perfer spicy mustard, great summer salad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad would be perfect for me. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also make my potato salad dressing first in order to pour over diced potatoes;it's so much easier to mix! If you really want to knock one out of the park try adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Good Season's Italian dressing (not dry) to your "dressing". Everyone will be raving and asking for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this today to bring to a party. It's so good, I don't want to share it!! ;-) Used Spicy Brown Mustard and added Smoked Paprika. IMHO this is THE BEST potato salad I have ever made. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Hellmann's or any thick one with egg yolks.

      Delete
  13. Sharon Delano8/25/2014 12:59 PM

    Made this for supper tonight. AMAZING! You are making me a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color and beauty of your version!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for great recipes, and tip about red potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria - another thing about new potatoes I have found out during my many times making this salad is to not overcook them or to let them stand in water too long. It won't affect to taste but after a day, the salad will become 'watery' ....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts