Shrimp Spaghetti

I know I just posted a shrimp recipe yesterday to start off the Mardi Gras series but hey, it's Wednesday and that always involves shrimp around here. This recipe is from my hometown, one from the kitchen of Martha Speirs and is a truly wonderful ditty of a dish. It has been a while since I have made this and I am craving it now. Many times, I use linguine and add bell peppers but her recipe below is just as it was some 30 or so years ago. Enjoy!

Shrimp Spaghetti

1/4 pound of butter (1 stick)
All-purpose flour
1 -14 oz can chicken broth
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
White pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Cayenne, to taste
1 large can B&B mushrooms, drained & sliced -see note
1 1/2 pound cooked shrimp, shelled & deveined
1 -8 oz package -spaghetti, cooked
1 -8 oz carton sour cream
Parmesan cheese
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add enough flour to make a thick paste. Add broth stirring until thick. Add the Swiss cheese stirring until melted. Add pepper and garlic powder to taste with a good pinch of cayenne.
Add the mushrooms, the cooked shrimp (reserve a handful for the top) and stir to blend. Remove from heat. Spread the spaghetti in a large, shallow greased pan. Spoon the shrimp mixture over the spaghetti and top heavily with the parmesan cheese. Garnish the top with the reserved shrimp. Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 20 to 30 minutes or until top is nice and brown. Serve with toasty garlic bread.
Note: The last time I checked for B&B Mushrooms, I could not find them. Here is how I made mine: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet and add 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms. Saute until brown.

Comments

  1. You're killing me with these recipes lol I could eat seafood all day and everyday and this just looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Drick, this looks delicious. What an awesome combination of great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love shrimp spaghetti, and the B&B mushrooms with the Swiss cheese...oh...I can taste it already!

    Regards,
    CCR
    =:~)

    BTW, I posted my King Cake Recipe today at: http://cajunchefryan.rymocs.com/blog2/heritage/king-cake/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I can so taste this. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will tell you again my fried: Never. Never. Never can there be too many shrimp recipes!!! Kepp 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrimp and Swiss cheese - now that's a very tempting combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. shrimp and spaghetti...how can you go wrong?? looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo mushrooms and shrimp and sour cream OH MY!!!! delicious as usual do you have take out?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks very delicious. I would love to try this dish when I fully recover from my tummy upset. I can see quite a few prawns in there...must be yours this time. My tummy is not ready to handle that yet. Always love your prawn dish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a fantastic recipe! Love the buttery & creamy flavour. yumm....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm... this sounds mighty good with the sour cream and the swiss cheese, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice, light shrimp recipe would be perfect for this 'get back on the healthy track' time of year. Will totally try this over spinach instead of pasta and see how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm...shrimp. I love it. This looks divine. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts