Beer Broccoli Cheese Soup

Hey folks, Mardi Gras is going strong and keeping me a little busy ... but you can still find great recipes coming your way ... thanks for viewing!


This is my version, perfect for a cold winter day and even a nice first course for Super Bowl Sunday. I think it is a nice mix of vegetables in a creamy cheese base. The beer doesn't hurt either. Enjoy!

Beer Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 cup diced onions

1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1 tablespoon + 1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups (1 pint) half-and-half
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 -12 oz bottle beer (light to medium beer is best- dark beer overpowers the soup)
1 bunch broccoli, florets separated
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne to taste


Sauté onion, celery and mushrooms in 1 tbsp butter on med-low heat until onions are translucent, then set aside. Melt remaining butter in large saucepot and add flour. Whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes to make roux. Whisking constantly, slowly add half-and-half, dry mustard and beer. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes, whisking regularly to prevent a skin from forming. Add broccoli, carrots and sautéed vegetables and cook over low heat 20 minutes. Remove from heat. For a smooth soup, pulse in a food processor or use a hand blender. Return to low heat and stir in the grated cheese.


.

Comments

  1. love broccoli soup I like this one its much different than mine have never tried putting the carrots in it or beer, sounds like my kind of soup will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup is SO up my alley, I love it!!!! Brocolli soup was always my fave as a kid, I'd love to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say this sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything abouth this is perfection. I've had lots of cheese soups and love the ones with beer in them best. I haven't made a cheese soup in ages, I do believe I'll be making this one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drick, you have just given me a great idea how to use up my beer. No one drinks. Now I know what to do......cook this lovely soup :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have the best recipes with the best ingredients. I love broccoli soup and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheese and beer - it just doesn't get any better than that! This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried soup with beer yet. I think I should eat this soup in an air conditioned room. Summer is starting to kick in..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beer in soup? And cheese! What a combination. And it looks so comforting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is awesome. My two favorite things: beer and cheese! This recipe can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow... beer soup! This is something I have never tried before...cooking soup with beer. I bet it taste wonderful! Well done, Drick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your excellent guidelines will be of great help to many. Nice post. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!


    Commercial Soup Kettle Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts