Salmon Croquettes with Creole Rémoulade Sauce

Make this up a day ahead for a nifty, delectable supper.

When I was a child, my mother would make croquettes every so often using different types of meat. At the time, I did not care for salmon so she would make two versions - ones that looked like salmon but consisted of chicken and the ever so staple salmon version. She did this for two reasons, so that I would have something to eat and so that my dad would not know. Maybe you can relate as in “If it’s good enough for me, then it’s good enough for everyone.” I do not have her recipe for either but I do have a few from family and friends and this one for salmon is pretty darn good.


Accompanying the croquettes, I suggest the following Creole Remoulade. I know there are more Creole sauces than I could ever imagine and I have quite a few in my gamut of recipes. On Wednesday, I posted one to accompany the spicy shrimp and the base of that sauce is Creole mustard and horseradish. It is a versatile accompaniment for all types of seafood and can be used as a dipping type of sauce, a garnish sauce, and even is a great marinade for boiled shrimp. Another great sauce is Louis sauce that I posted back in July. It is a creamier sauce which I love serving with cold seafood and seafood salads.

Salmon Croquettes with Creole Rémoulade Sauce

3 1/2 cups crumbled saltine crackers
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 large shallots
2 ounces Asiago cheese, grated
1 egg
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 large can pink flaky salmon
Vegetable oil for frying

In a large bowl, add half of the saltine crumbs (1 3/4 cups) and mix in the remaining ingredients except for the oil.

Chill mixture for several hours.

Shape mixture into patties about 3/8 of an inch thick. Press patties into remaining saltine crumbs covering all sides, set aside.

Cover the bottom of a large skillet, preferably electric, with a little oil and heat to 375 degrees F.

Cook croquettes until brown on both sides. Remove and keep warm as you cook remaining croquettes.

Serve with the sauce below and a side vegetable.


Creole Rémoulade Sauce

1 small onion -minced
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Wesson oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
Dash paprika
Dash Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 to 2 teaspoons Creole mustard

Blend all ingredients together well - chill for several hours.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great seafood recipe from dearest Drick! Sounds wonderful. Will try out with some other fish meat & see how it goes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salmon croquettes were a staple on our southern table when I was growing up, too. And these looks really delicious. Never thought of adding Asiago, but I'll wager it's really tasty in there! Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drick, this sounds so good! I do a salmon croquette too, and next time I'll definitely add asiago. I love making a sandwich out of leftover ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is asiago? I like anything croquette.... hehe... sucker for fried foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drick...that is so yummy looking and I love anything salmon..thanks for sharing the recipe. Will try this out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts